Friday, February 18, 2011

I know what boys like....

Please excuse the HEAVY Glee influence on my posting of late.  It's an illness, and I'm working on it.

As I laid out my (almost completely black and white) vacation wardrobe the other night, my boyfriend and I got on the subject of what HE would/should pack.  He actually asked if we were going back in time for our vacation, and if the whole thing would be in black and white!  Upon inspection of his summer wardrobe, it was discovered that he owns the exact opposite color - or lackthereof - scheme for his summer attire.  To prove it to me, he put on a pair of bright turquoise plaid shorts to cook dinner!

While I have traveled with boyfriends past, this one presents a particularly interesting conundrum, as a) I haven't ever seen his summer clothes, since we met in the fall, and b) he apparently has not had the luck to have received any kind of style training/influence from past girlfriends...at least not any with a sense of style!

When I think of warm-weather-wear for men in particular, my thoughts are brought to you by the letter "L": light fabrics, linens, light colours and layers.  My boyfriend's wardrobe contains almost none of these things.  I'm not sure yet what will end up in his suitcase, and I'm sure we'll look like quite the pair on the beach...  Not that I anticipate him spending much time with a shirt on, regardless of colour (and not that I mind!).

So let's play pretend.  This is what would go into his suitcase if I were packing from a dream wardrobe:
- beige linen pants
- white linen short sleeved button down
- neutral coloured FLAT FRONT dress shorts - pleats are so wrong!
- camel coloured dresspants (for a la carte restaurant dinners)
- white dress shirt - wrinkle free, of course (for a la carte restaurant dinners)
- straw fedora hat - though I feel like my current boyfriend might look rather silly in one!
- brown leather thong sandals
- board shorts in neutral colours, and without loud prints
- a few white tank tops, just for those times when a shirt is required

...so beachy and dreamy!

Consider yourselves warned:  Linen is difficult for anyone (especially spill-prone men!).  "The Style Blogger" gives his pros and cons for linen at www.thestyleblogger.com...

Linen Pros:
  1. Highly absorbent
  2. Feels cool to the touch
  3. Very strong (2 to 3 times the fiber strength of cotton)
  4. Smooth, making the finished fabric lint free
  5. Gets softer the more it is washed.
Linen Cons:
  1. Constant creasing in sharp folds will tend to break the linen threads (this wear can show up in collars, hems, and any area that is iron creased during laundering)
  2. Poor elasticity
  3. Does not spring back readily, explaining why it wrinkles so easily
  4. Not very versatile, only good for hot weather


At the end of the day, it really all comes down to comfort and having a good time!  But if anyone has any last minute tips for men's beach/resort wear, I'm all ears!

xo
Mandy

No comments:

Post a Comment