Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day One...a shift in thinking

Well, it's finally happened. It occurred to me today at lunch, as I sat on the subway; despite years of trying to avoid it, I've become a part of the proverbial rat-race.

After years of being a free-spirited, small-town girl who smiled at strangers, and would NEVER hesitate to approach someone to tell them that I think their hair/outfit/shoes/tattoo/perfume/whatever-it-may-be is great, I've become one of the desensitized city-folk. You know, the ones who keep their heads down, music on, or just generally try to look busy, so that they (I) can avoid any kind of unnecessary human interaction. I have a tendency to focus on what I will lovingly call "trainwrecks": someone who (IMHO) looks ridiculous, or like they just plain don't care...Especially on the subway!

In a city like Toronto, style is EVERYWHERE. Good, bad, ugly or otherwise, it's all around us! I recently started working with a friend of mine who is a stylist, to help fine tune my personal style - no easy task! I always see people around me who have their own clearly defined sense of style, which I've found a whole new admiration for, but I always seem to keep my opinion to myself...So what's my point?

I'm setting a goal for myself. Starting NOW: I'm going to make a point of complimenting ONE PERSON - that I do NOT know - every day of the week, for one month.

No ulterior motives...no asking where they got something so that I can go and get it, and it's got to be a sincere compliment - no "Fompliments" (Faux Compliments). Since it's already June 2nd, I'm a day behind, but I think I can make up for that. My hope is that I can document each compliment in some way - be it a photo, or a message from the recipient, and that after a successful month, I'll extend the time frame. Ultimately, I would like to make this a life long habit...

It's a shift in thinking - to focus on the things that I appreciate, and maybe even make someone else's day doing it.

Can I do it? I think so. Are there limitations? Of course! Not everyone will be receptive to me snapping a picture of them to post on my blog, and there are going to be days that I don't leave the house... I'll have to work out a strategy!

Wish me luck!
(and did I mention, you look GREAT today!?)

1 comment:

  1. This blog of yours reminds me of the blog, turned novel, turned Hollywood hit movie Julie & Julia.

    I love it.

    Keep your roots close to you, Miss.City Girl.

    In an effort to be helpful and supportive, and because I'm clearly already beginning to admire you, I am going to cheer you on by visiting your new blog on a regular basis.

    With admiration,

    Your new internet blog stalker (..also friend, but you haven't any idea which one)

    ReplyDelete