Friday, June 11, 2010

Would it kill you to smile?



After complimenting the lady in line at lunchtime with such a negative response, I decided to make an effort to compliment people who weren't distracted. No phones, ipods, other conversations - just people who are walking down the street.




The first THREE ignored me. Not even a smile or a thank you. It got to the point that I wasn't sure I'd be able to get anymore pictures for my blog. Then, I came across a woman who was walking by herself, with a big smile on her face. As she came closer, I just said to her that it's so nice to see somebody smiling. She stopped, we complimented eachother on our shoes, I took her picture and off we both went. Ahh...my faith was renewed!





I complimented a few other people with no response. When I went into the Yonge & Eglinton Centre, I stopped by my favourite Kiosk - a really great handmade jewellery booth run by a really beautiful woman. I've been buying jewellery from her for weeks, but haven't ever really struck up a conversation. She has this easy, beautiful style - something I wish I could emulate...like she doesn't have to try, and she's always comfortable but beautiful. By the time I left, she gave me a big hug, and promised she'd let me know when her website is done so that I can feature her on my blog, and share her style with everyone!




More than 3 compliments to make up for the last couple of days, but only 2 pictures, and 2 smiles!




Maybe tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. People are so weird when you compliment them randomly. I do it all the time (usually about something they are wearing) and most people give me this funny look like I'm from another planet! Hello! All I said was I love your shoes! Say Thank You dammit and smile and move on.

    My favourtites are the people who are really surprised and say "Oh! Thank you." and I can tell I just made their day - because that's why I do it!

    I love this project of yours.

    ReplyDelete