Sunday, June 20, 2010

My Dad's Better Than Your Dad.

Happy Father's Day!

I realized yesterday that I never introduced myself to all the readers of I Like Your Style Toronto. Ive never been huge into throwing my personal life out there, nor sitting around discussing "me". But, with respect to Mandy, I'll venture into the unchartered;).

As I'm sure you've assumed, I'm in love with Fashion. Most of you think Mary-Kate Olsen looks like a homeless troll? I think shes a fashion icon and has influenced many, many trends in the last 5 years. Trends that you're probably wearing right now. I dont care who you are, or what you do, or how many monies a year you make, you can allllways keep your unasked for comments deep down inside. That having been said, I appreciate sarcasm with the best of them. I used to be a tomboy (I blame my brother who forced (wasn't really forced) me to learn how to survive in the elements, how to properly hold a snake, and how to build a treefort that would last) so I'm opposed to wearing pink, or anything girlie. I've been told as I get older I'll wear more and more patterns and skirts and all that. I remain skeptical.

That's enough about me. Now let's get to the good stuff. I'm going to Europe soon, so the creativitiy of the people across the wee ocean are a bit on my mind. Since we're Canadians, let's start with England.

Alexander McQueen
This past spring we recently lost a creative genius, Mr. Lee McQueen of Alexander McQueen. He was known as the 'bad boy' of fashion telling people off when he wanted, doing what he wanted. He apparently didn't use a pattern for his clothes. Insane, especially considering the stuff he was pumping out. His shows on their own were inspirational, not to mention his collections. Each season he'd have a different theme, perhaps the most well-known being a hollogram of his close friend Kate Moss in an ethereal image in one of his dresses (a company is currently being sued by his House for having their campaign be too similar to that well-known image). He was innovative in the Fashion world, always pushing to create something that was never done before. For example, his Armadillo shoes. I'll show them another time. If I get started on shoes, I may not get into England at all today.


These photos are from Spring 2010 collection. His Fall 2010 season was shown in memoriam after his death.






















































Miss Vivienne Westwood

For those of you who are familiar with her style, she's awesome eh!? I'm almost positive that her and Diane von Furstenburg rolled with Andy Warhol and his crew. They must have amazing stories. (I'd have loved to meet Edie Sedgwick.) Westwood is known for bringing punk into the Fashion industry, as evidenced with her most recent collection (Fall 2010).
























































Victoria Beckham
I know lots of people think she's an idiot, and pathetic, and crazy and too skinny, and blah blah blah. But her design foray has been utter success. Tons of celebrities attempt at being a serious deisigner, and most of the time there's big publicity for the first season and because they're NOT designers, their collections don't sell. Everyone thought Victoria Beckham's attempts would be similar. They were wrong. How cool is this: even though she personally has probably zero body fat her dresses are created with boning and ribbing so that ANY body size can wear them. Think Jennifer Lopez wearing the same dress as Vicky Beckham. Pretty rare. Even though her first collection was awfully close to that of Roland Mouret, she's done well for herself.




I will attempt at posting a feature both Saturday and Sunday, at the very least one of those days. I hope you all enjoy it. I'll read all your comments and suggestions so feel free to keep sending them.
Amanda, you're on!
xo
**(all images courtesy of style.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment