Sunday, June 6, 2010

Stranger Danger

Again, I'm on the road, visiting my parents for the weekend. Today MAY be a difficult day to find a stranger, considering I'm getting ready to get back on the road back to the city, and will likely spend the next few hours listening to really loud (BAD) radio music with the windows down.

I will do my best, but I may have to double up tomorrow. What I wanted to share right now is a conversation that I had with my Mom about my blog this morning. She hasn't read it, and I don't imagine she will.

Her main concern (read: FEAR) is that I'm going to speak to/photograph the wrong person. That somehow, by complimenting a stranger who is connected in some way/shape/form to someone or something with which I wouldn't want to associate, and posting their photo on my page, I could get myself into trouble.

Of course, I question the relative anonymity of the internet, and whether or not she really has a valid point, but all I seem to be able to focus on is this: while I'm questioning how living in the city has affected and changed me (into a part of the rat race), why is it that those who don't live in the city have such a fear of "city people"? Am I not one of them? I understand that my Mother's opinion is not representative of all "townees", but I can think of a handful of my hometown friends who are terrified of the city for a myriad of reasons.

What do you think? Am I risking my personal safety by breaking that Cone of Silence that seems to just be understood in the city? Even if someone IS connected to something not so above board, is it really so wrong to show them a little appreciation?

Lots to think about in the car today!

2 comments:

  1. Having moved from the same town I know the fear that some have of the city. On the other hand, having moved to a city of half a million people, I am regularly confronted by others who are willing to tell me a story. Perhaps, they can sense my small town background? The city is really not so bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it just me or did this blog sound like total Carrie Bradshaw?

    I am loving it. Keep up the compliments, Mandy!

    I am always taken back when "small towners" have bad things to say about Toronto. Having always been from the GTA, I have become accustomed to the anti-social lifestyle. And to think, I decided to move more and more to the central area in hopes to broaden my circle of friends...

    ReplyDelete